Skip to main content

The Good News



I started my day with this wonderful song. The music itself expresses peace and tranquility and the refrain says that God's love came down from heaven to save and free me. The first verse says: 'If my heart is overwhelmed and I cannot hear your voice, I hold on to what is true though I cannot see.'

In all honesty, I don't know where I'd have been this evening if God wasn't in my life. Maybe you think I'm into spiritual things way too much, but I can't explain enough the importance of spiritual life. God's standard is found in the Ten Commandments in the book of Exodus 20:1-17 in the Old Testament. Who can say they have never broken one of those laws? NOT ONE OF US!! The Bible says that we have all sinned (Romans 3:23) and therefore God cannot accept us to be with Him in heaven as we are. He is holy and we are all sinners (except for Jesus). But there is GOOD NEWS.

The Good News

The word 'Gospel' is from the Greek word 'εὐαγγέλιον' which means 'good news'. The Gospel is a simple, joyful message from God to us:

For God so loved the world, that He gave His only begotten Son, that whosoever believes in Him, should not perish, but have everlasting life. John 3:16

Do we believe that verse? According to the verse, if we believe in Jesus, we have eternal life.

It is not only to believe that Jesus exists or that He died for us - that is true, but the Bible says in John 15:1-10:

'“I am the true vine, and My Father is the vinedresser. Every branch in Me that does not bear fruit He takes away; and every branch that bears fruit He prunes, that it may bear more fruit. You are already clean because of the word which I have spoken to you. Abide in Me, and I in you. As the branch cannot bear fruit of itself, unless it abides in the vine, neither can you, unless you abide in Me. “I am the vine, you are the branches. He who abides in Me, and I in him, bears much fruit; for without Me you can do nothing. If anyone does not abide in Me, he is cast out as a branch and is withered; and they gather them and throw them into the fire, and they are burned. If you abide in Me, and My words abide in you, you will ask what you desire, and it shall be done for you. By this My Father is glorified, that you bear much fruit; so you will be My disciples. “As the Father loved Me, I also have loved you; abide in My love. If you keep My commandments, you will abide in My love, just as I have kept My Father’s commandments and abide in His love.' 




Jesus often taught with pictures. The pictures in this passage are the Vine (Jesus), the Vinedresser (God the Father) and the branches (believers). This text explains that it is not enough to say with our mouths that we believe. Jesus demands more from us. We must have spiritual fruit in our lives. To remain close to Him means to take time each day to fellowship with Him through prayer and reading the Bible. We need to practise that which we know daily, not only on Sundays!! We will remain in Jesus' love if we keep His commandments. How can we keep His commandments if we do not know what they are? I am more than grateful to those who taught me about Jesus and God's Word from my childhood. I recommend going to a Bible class to understand these matters seriously, because we shouldn't play at Christianity. What we do on earth has consequences in eternity. If you would like more information on joining a Bible class or if you would like a New Testament (free of charge), make a request on the comments below. Don't be shy!

One day, I will stand before Jesus after my death and I am certain He will say to me that I wasn't 'into spiritual things' enough. His teaching should influence all I do. What motivates me? Do I do all with love or with an ulterior motive? Do I love those around me or do I gossip about them? The Bible has much teaching about all aspects of life. I desire my attitude and character to be pleasing to God. 

If we have decided to become serious followers of Jesus, we need to confess that we are sinners (me first!!), to repent and turn in the opposite direction (i.e. to turn away from all known sins) and to follow Jesus according to His teaching in the Bible. We cannot do this in our own strength, therefore Jesus will give us the Holy Spirit, who is the third person of the Trinity (The Father, The Son and The Holy Spirit).

The Good News is that Jesus died and rose again to give us new life. Whoever does not accept Jesus will be like the branch which does not bear fruit - he/she will be thrown into the fire (hell). If we are not with Jesus on the earth, we will not be with Him in eternity and that is why this is such an important matter which is on my heart this evening. I pray for all of us in Bitola to live for God's glory! May His name be glorified in all of Macedonia and to the ends of the earth! God bless you! 





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"When you get to the top, there's nothing there."

The title of this blog is a quotation from author Jack Higgins, who wrote 'The Eagle has Landed'.  He wished he had known as a small boy that 'when you get to the top, there's nothing there'. The former President of the Republic of Macedonia, Sir Boris Trajkovski, reiterates similar sentiments in this video. The quality is poor, but I think his words can be heard clearly. Even to reach the top position in one's country, " ...as President, in my life I feel that nothing is more important than to know the Lord Jesus Christ. "    What about this feeling of emptiness inside? I agree with Sir Boris Trajkovski. His conclusion is: to have Christ is everything. Forget the religious nonsense which chokes the very soul of the living God. Religion is man-made and is therefore as stifling and narrow-minded as its makers. A real relationship with the God of Heaven fulfills and gives peace. I think that's what we are all looking for, if we a

Of Infinite Importance

The vivid red poinsettias, which stand out against the azure skies of Cyprus, are not without symbolism for the Christmas celebration. The star shape in the centre resembles the star of Bethlehem and the leafy red bracts represent the blood of Christ, a visible reminder of the reason for His coming. While we enjoy the festive ambience and quality family time of the Christmas season, there is infinitely more to the mere outward festivities. A deeper look at the Christmas story reveals a heart-changing message. The Impact of Christ's Birth Christ's birth impacted the course of history like no other because of who He was and why He came. The Bible records the words proclaimed to Joseph by the Angel of the Lord concerning Mary and the Lord's birth: She will give birth to a Son, and you shall name Him Jesus (The LORD is salvation), for He will save His people from their sins. Matthew 1:21 (Amplified Bible) As the angels announced His arrival to the humble shepherds that holy n

The Mystery that is Macedonia

When I first came to Macedonia on a visit in 2001, I found this little country so intriguing and breathtakingly beautiful that I happily accepted the invitation to return for a longer period. That ‘longer period’ has now extended itself to several years during which I have had many enriching, memorable experiences. I thought it might be interesting to jot down a few observations about the difference in culture. I appeal to my Macedonian readers not to misunderstand my intentions. What I have observed are customs and habits which are as normal to you as breathing and sleeping, but to someone from an entirely different culture, they are both interesting and noteworthy. It is always thrilling for me to explore how various nations function and it is nothing short of a privilege to experience a foreign culture first-hand. Hospitality Macedonians are a friendly, hospitable people. I do not know how many times they have almost literally killed me with kindness. Indeed, I have often