Skip to main content

Who Was St. Patrick?

While half the world turns green today in celebratory euphoria without much knowledge of St. Patrick’s legacy, the day has a deeper meaning for me. But first, let us look at the man himself.

Slemish Mountain, Co. Antrim, N. Ireland.

Myths Debunked

There are three commonly held untruths about St. Patrick, Patron Saint of Ireland:

1. St. Patrick was Irish.

St. Patrick was not Irish. He hailed from a rich, Romanized family in Great Britain; in the 5th Century, Irish raiders attacked his parent’s estate and brought the 16-year-old as a slave to Ireland. Legend claims he tended sheep either on a volcanic plug known as Slemish Mountain, Co. Antrim, or near Killala, Co. Mayo for the six years of his captivity.

2. He banished all snakes from Ireland.

This is a myth which grew around the life and acts of St. Patrick. Snakes simply could not cross the Irish Sea after the Ice Age. The only reptile that made its way to Ireland was the common lizard.

3. He introduced Christianity to Ireland.

There were a few Christians in Ireland before St. Patrick came. Part of the reason for his return was to support those who had already embraced Christianity as well as to convert the pagans.

St. Patrick’s Beliefs

Much has been added to the legend of St. Patrick over the years. However, his writings, Confessio (Confession) and his Letter to Coroticus, not only record facts of his ministry but also testify to his beliefs.

Patrick became a devout Christian during his captivity, writing that God used the experience to bring him to faith:

It was there that the Lord opened up my awareness of my lack of faith. Even though it came about late, I recognised my failings. So I turned with all my heart to the Lord my God, and he looked down on my lowliness and had mercy on my youthful ignorance. He guarded me before I knew him, and before I came to wisdom and could distinguish between good and evil. He protected me and consoled me as a father does for his son.¹

St Patrick believed in salvation as a gift, not something to be earned:

That is why I cannot be silent — nor would it be good to do so — about such great blessings and such a gift that the Lord so kindly bestowed in the land of my captivity. This is how we can repay such blessings, when our lives change and we come to know God, to praise and bear witness to his great wonders before every nation under heaven.²

He was ready to lay down his life for the Gospel:

It was not by my own grace, but God who overcame it in me, and resisted them all so that I could come to the peoples of Ireland to preach the gospel. I bore insults from unbelievers, so that I would hear the hatred directed at me for travelling here. I bore many persecutions, even chains, so that I could give up my freeborn state for the sake of others. If I be worthy, I am ready even to give up my life most willingly here and now for his name. It is there that I wish to spend my life until I die, if the Lord should grant it to me.³

St. Patrick’s Legacy

After years of persecution and trials as a missionary Bishop to the people of Ireland, the widespread effect of St. Patrick’s efforts was visible. He laboured for the Lord in true faith and in sincerity of heart,⁴ winning and baptizing countless converts. Churches, monasteries and centres of administration were established, laying the foundation for Ireland’s ‘saints and scholars’ legacy.

St. Patrick’s unshakeable trust in Scripture and his missionary heart to the Irish people continue to inspire all who truly live for God.

Special Meaning

St. Patrick’s Day marks the day of St. Patrick’s death on the 17th of March, 461. Personally, it marks the day of my spiritual birth in 1985, the day I became a Christian through faith in the Christ St. Patrick faithfully served and proclaimed.

I am thankful for the example of a life dedicated to preaching the truth of the Gospel. The power of that message is still changing lives in Ireland and elsewhere today.

Happy St. Patrick’s Day!

Excerpt from St. Patrick’s Breastplate Prayer

Christ be with me, Christ within me,
Christ behind me, Christ before me,
Christ beside me, Christ to win me,
Christ to comfort and restore me.
Christ beneath me, Christ above me,
Christ in quiet, Christ in danger,
Christ in hearts of all that love me,
Christ in mouth of friend and stranger.

I bind unto myself the Name,
The strong Name of the Trinity;
By invocation of the same.
The Three in One, and One in Three,
Of Whom all nature hath creation,
Eternal Father, Spirit, Word:
Praise to the Lord of my salvation,
Salvation is of Christ the Lord.

Amen

References:

  1. Confessio 2 https://www.confessio.ie/etexts/confessio_english#
  2. Confessio 3
  3. Confessio 37
  4. Confessio 48

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"When you get to the top, there's nothing there."

The title of this blog is a quotation from author Jack Higgins, who wrote 'The Eagle has Landed'.  He wished he had known as a small boy that 'when you get to the top, there's nothing there'. The former President of the Republic of Macedonia, Sir Boris Trajkovski, reiterates similar sentiments in this video. The quality is poor, but I think his words can be heard clearly. Even to reach the top position in one's country, " ...as President, in my life I feel that nothing is more important than to know the Lord Jesus Christ. "    What about this feeling of emptiness inside? I agree with Sir Boris Trajkovski. His conclusion is: to have Christ is everything. Forget the religious nonsense which chokes the very soul of the living God. Religion is man-made and is therefore as stifling and narrow-minded as its makers. A real relationship with the God of Heaven fulfills and gives peace. I think that's what we are all looking for, if we a

Of Infinite Importance

The vivid red poinsettias, which stand out against the azure skies of Cyprus, are not without symbolism for the Christmas celebration. The star shape in the centre resembles the star of Bethlehem and the leafy red bracts represent the blood of Christ, a visible reminder of the reason for His coming. While we enjoy the festive ambience and quality family time of the Christmas season, there is infinitely more to the mere outward festivities. A deeper look at the Christmas story reveals a heart-changing message. The Impact of Christ's Birth Christ's birth impacted the course of history like no other because of who He was and why He came. The Bible records the words proclaimed to Joseph by the Angel of the Lord concerning Mary and the Lord's birth: She will give birth to a Son, and you shall name Him Jesus (The LORD is salvation), for He will save His people from their sins. Matthew 1:21 (Amplified Bible) As the angels announced His arrival to the humble shepherds that holy n

Quiet Time

I must admit, I love the morning. The peace, the silence, the coffee... And most importantly, the presence of God! The Psalmist loved the morning. We can catch his sense of joy as he lifted up his heart to praise Yahweh, the Keeper of his soul. It is good to give thanks to the LORD, And to sing praises to Your name, O Most High; To declare Your lovingkindness in the morning, And Your faithfulness every night, On an instrument of ten strings, On the lute, And on the harp, With harmonious sound. For You, LORD, have made me glad through Your work; I will triumph in the works of Your hands. Psalm 92:1-4 Even though I grew up in a Christian family, I did not realize the importance of having a ‘quiet time’ with God each morning until I was 18. This materialized through a challenging teaching on the subject one Saturday evening. Then began an incredible journey of discovering truth for myself. The Bible is the LIVING WORD OF GOD! How exciting to hold it in our hands and learn throu