Skip to main content

Doers of the Word


Do you ever feel sometimes that you need a shake to wake up? Well, I do, and that is why I always go back to the Book of James to read words which have a rude-awakening effect. Perhaps James is addressing issues that he has learned from personal experience. He writes in ch 1:19 that we should be swift to hear, slow to speak, slow to wrath. What he writes about the tongue later are some of the strongest words in the New Testament. I wonder if he was somewhat vocal against the Lord’s teaching and that is why the Lord specifically appeared to him after His resurrection (1 Corinthians 15:7)?

Every verse in James is packed full of practical truth and wisdom. This morning I was reading verses 22-27 of the first chapter and again I am deeply challenged by the LIVING Word of God:

Do not merely listen to the word, and so deceive yourselves. Do what it says. Anyone who listens to the word but does not do what it says is like someone who looks at his face in a mirror and, after looking at himself, goes away and immediately forgets what he looks like. But whoever looks intently into the perfect law that gives freedom, and continues in it—not forgetting what they have heard, but doing it—they will be blessed in what they do.

Those who consider themselves religious and yet do not keep a tight rein on their tongues deceive themselves, and their religion is worthless. Religion that God our Father accepts as pure and faultless is this: to look after orphans and widows in their distress and to keep oneself from being polluted by the world.

Recently when I was in Israel, I heard a missionary report on the Middle East. The speaker pointed out that the difference between believers in the West and believers in the East is the practice of their faith. In the East, they practise Christian principles and then gain a working knowledge of the theory, while we in the West first have an abundance of theory, which we very often do not put into practice.

When James says: be doers of the word, and not hearers only, deceiving yourselves…, we need to pay attention! Hearers only are like those who look in the mirror to check that everything is in place and then rush into the activities of the day without giving another thought to their appearance. A mere looking into the Word and then ignoring what is written there does not lead to productive Christian lives.

We can actually deceive ourselves thinking we have attended church/meetings three times in any given week and that is practising our Christianity. There’s so much more to a life of faith!

The practical outworking, according to James, involves visiting orphans and widows in their distress, as well as keeping spiritually pure. We in N. Ireland are so privileged to live in a welfare state, which we should never take for granted, yet James was writing at a time when there was no state support. We may say to ourselves that we do not know needy orphans or widows, but the world has become a smaller place through air travel, providing more opportunity and responsibility.

Oh to see the world through God’s eyes (and I speak to myself)! Brandon Heath sings:

Give me Your eyes for just one second 
Give me Your eyes so I can see, 
Everything that I keep missing, 
Give Your love for humanity. 
Give me your arms for the broken-hearted 
The ones that are far beyond my reach. 
Give me Your heart for the ones forgotten. 
Give me Your eyes so I can see.

When we put the Word of God into practice, God so graciously blesses us, as stated in verse 25. Of course, that should not be our motivation! God blesses those who are moved with His compassion to reach out to others and He is the One who can see the motive of our actions. May we search our hearts as we seek to live for Him! 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"When you get to the top, there's nothing there."

The title of this blog is a quotation from author Jack Higgins, who wrote 'The Eagle has Landed'.  He wished he had known as a small boy that 'when you get to the top, there's nothing there'. The former President of the Republic of Macedonia, Sir Boris Trajkovski, reiterates similar sentiments in this video. The quality is poor, but I think his words can be heard clearly. Even to reach the top position in one's country, " ...as President, in my life I feel that nothing is more important than to know the Lord Jesus Christ. "    What about this feeling of emptiness inside? I agree with Sir Boris Trajkovski. His conclusion is: to have Christ is everything. Forget the religious nonsense which chokes the very soul of the living God. Religion is man-made and is therefore as stifling and narrow-minded as its makers. A real relationship with the God of Heaven fulfills and gives peace. I think that's what we are all looking for, if we a

Of Infinite Importance

The vivid red poinsettias, which stand out against the azure skies of Cyprus, are not without symbolism for the Christmas celebration. The star shape in the centre resembles the star of Bethlehem and the leafy red bracts represent the blood of Christ, a visible reminder of the reason for His coming. While we enjoy the festive ambience and quality family time of the Christmas season, there is infinitely more to the mere outward festivities. A deeper look at the Christmas story reveals a heart-changing message. The Impact of Christ's Birth Christ's birth impacted the course of history like no other because of who He was and why He came. The Bible records the words proclaimed to Joseph by the Angel of the Lord concerning Mary and the Lord's birth: She will give birth to a Son, and you shall name Him Jesus (The LORD is salvation), for He will save His people from their sins. Matthew 1:21 (Amplified Bible) As the angels announced His arrival to the humble shepherds that holy n

The Mystery that is Macedonia

When I first came to Macedonia on a visit in 2001, I found this little country so intriguing and breathtakingly beautiful that I happily accepted the invitation to return for a longer period. That ‘longer period’ has now extended itself to several years during which I have had many enriching, memorable experiences. I thought it might be interesting to jot down a few observations about the difference in culture. I appeal to my Macedonian readers not to misunderstand my intentions. What I have observed are customs and habits which are as normal to you as breathing and sleeping, but to someone from an entirely different culture, they are both interesting and noteworthy. It is always thrilling for me to explore how various nations function and it is nothing short of a privilege to experience a foreign culture first-hand. Hospitality Macedonians are a friendly, hospitable people. I do not know how many times they have almost literally killed me with kindness. Indeed, I have often