Skip to main content

Blessings


I must confess, I woke up this morning feeling grumpy and coming down with another cold, sick and tired of the winter... Then I read this reminder of how blessed I am. Blessed beyond words.




Blessings

If you woke up this morning with more health than illness, you are more blessed than the million who won't survive the week.


If you have never experienced the danger of battle, the loneliness of imprisonment, the agony of torture, or the pangs of starvation, you are ahead of 20 million people around the world.


If you attend a church meeting without fear of harassment, arrest, torture, or death, you are more blessed than almost three billion people in the world.


If you have food in your refrigerator, clothes on your back, a roof over your head and a place to sleep, you are richer than 75% of this world.


If you have money in the bank, in your wallet, and spare change in a dish someplace, you are among the top 8% of the world's wealthy.


If you hold up your head with a smile on your face and are truly thankful, you are blessed because the majority can, but most do not.


If you can read this message, you are more blessed than over two billion people in the world that cannot read anything at all.


You are so blessed in ways you may never even know.


by Stephen Eardley
"Reconnections & New Directions" 2003 Conference
Lester B. Pearson College

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Mystery that is Macedonia

When I first came to Macedonia on a visit in 2001, I found this little country so intriguing and breathtakingly beautiful that I happily accepted the invitation to return for a longer period. That ‘longer period’ has now extended itself to several years during which I have had many enriching, memorable experiences. I thought it might be interesting to jot down a few observations about the difference in culture. I appeal to my Macedonian readers not to misunderstand my intentions. What I have observed are customs and habits which are as normal to you as breathing and sleeping, but to someone from an entirely different culture, they are both interesting and noteworthy. It is always thrilling for me to explore how various nations function and it is nothing short of a privilege to experience a foreign culture first-hand. Hospitality Macedonians are a friendly, hospitable people. I do not know how many times they have almost literally killed me with kindness. Indeed, I have often...

Quiet Time

I must admit, I love the morning. The peace, the silence, the coffee... And most importantly, the presence of God! The Psalmist loved the morning. We can catch his sense of joy as he lifted up his heart to praise Yahweh, the Keeper of his soul. It is good to give thanks to the LORD, And to sing praises to Your name, O Most High; To declare Your lovingkindness in the morning, And Your faithfulness every night, On an instrument of ten strings, On the lute, And on the harp, With harmonious sound. For You, LORD, have made me glad through Your work; I will triumph in the works of Your hands. Psalm 92:1-4 Even though I grew up in a Christian family, I did not realize the importance of having a ‘quiet time’ with God each morning until I was 18. This materialized through a challenging teaching on the subject one Saturday evening. Then began an incredible journey of discovering truth for myself. The Bible is the LIVING WORD OF GOD! How exciting to hold it in our hands and learn throu...

Who Was St. Patrick?

While half the world turns green today in celebratory euphoria without much knowledge of St. Patrick’s legacy, the day has a deeper meaning for me. But first, let us look at the man himself. Slemish Mountain, Co. Antrim, N. Ireland. Myths Debunked There are three commonly held  untruths  about St. Patrick, Patron Saint of Ireland: 1. St. Patrick was Irish. St. Patrick was not Irish. He hailed from a rich, Romanized family in Great Britain; in the 5th Century, Irish raiders attacked his parent’s estate and brought the 16-year-old as a slave to Ireland. Legend claims he tended sheep either on a volcanic plug known as Slemish Mountain, Co. Antrim, or near Killala, Co. Mayo for the six years of his captivity. 2. He banished all snakes from Ireland. This is a myth which grew around the life and acts of St. Patrick. Snakes simply could not cross the Irish Sea after the Ice Age. The only reptile that made its way to Ireland was the common lizard. 3. He introduced Christianity to Irel...